A Mother’s Worry

Last week I finished up the large piece I have been working on. It is called “A Mother’s Worry” and it measures 30″ x 20.5″ and was hooked and designed by me using a variety of yarns on linen. It sure took a long time to finish! I think I redid the water section three times just to try to get it right. As you can see, there is a lot going on in this piece and getting it all to work together was a challenge. In the end I am pretty happy with it and I have had a lot of really great feedback. The piece seems to resonate with a lot of people and that is exactly what you want art to do.

I may change up her eyebrow before it is framed- sometimes I feel like it is a bit dark. The faces were definitely frustrating for me because of their size. They are far too small to get in a lot of detail and so I found myself disappointed in the end that they didn’t look more accurately like my kids. I think I’m over that now as I have reminded myself that it isn’t a rug about my kids per se, but rather they are representative of all youth and the struggles that they face in today’s crazy, messed up world. As someone said to me after seeing the piece, grown ups suck. What a poor job we are doing of creating a better world to our children.

As for the framing, that might take a little while because I don’t have a clear idea yet what would be the best frame option to complement this piece. I’m in discussions with my framer (ie. my husband) and once we have figured it out, framing will begin.

Karen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *